Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Other bits and bobs from the past couple of weeks

Blue Rock Thrush Monticola solitarius
Yellow-throated Bunting Emberiza elegans
Grey-capped Greenfinch Chloris sinica
Chinese Grosbeak Eophona migratoria
Arctic Loon (Black-throated Loon) Gavia arctica
Black-faced Spoonbill Platalea minor
  I've been roaming the hills and coasts of late in an effort to find new habitat. When I lived on Geoje it took me almost a year before I found some great spots, and I'm kicking myself for that. Seogwipo has some decent areas of habitat, but I've found them to be less birdy than they've been in the past. This may be down to increased disturbance due to tourism. Local officials have been chasing the almighty Chinese tourism dollar lately, with developers putting up anything they can, anywhere they can. I constantly find myself driving around saying 'THAT wasn't there two years ago,' about a never-ending series of cafes, hotels, and the construction sites that spawned them. So I'll search higher in the hills, and further down the coast, in the hopes there's some undisturbed habitat left somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment